Congratulations to the Newest Pin Recipients!
Time Running Out to Register for the Fifth Annual Poker Run
The Fifth Annual "Long" Live to Ride & Drive Poker Run will be Saturday Sept. 12th. Sponsored by the Friends of Marv Long, Teamsters Local 690, and Cancer Care Northwest, this event raises money for Cancer Care Northwest.
If you register before the day of the run, you'll save $5 off the $30 registration fee. So register NOW and save some money. (You get a T-shirt with both registration options.
June 2015 Newsletter
Stories in this issue:
- Secretary-Treasurer Report
- U.S. Bakery (Franz) Negotiations
- Olympia Political Action Day
- Public Sector Update
- Sysco/US Foods Merger Update
- Recognizing Our Members With Years-of-Membership Pins
- Recent Retirees
- Local 690 Member to Retire After 40-Years
- Broken Wheel
- Worker's Memorial Ceremony
- Upcoming Charity Events
ALEC: Bad For UPS, Worse For You
ALEC is behind legislation designed to:
- Misclassify employees as independent contractors so companies like FedEx can increase profit by paying workers less
- Drive wages and benefits down
- Restrict your rights for claiming workers compensation
- Weaken safety standards on roads and highways
- Automate package delivery using driverless vehicles
- Support right-to-work for less laws that will weaken unions and make it more difficult to negotiate good contracts
ALEC is so controversial that more than 100 companies have cut ties with the group including Coke, Pepsi, Amazon, Google, McDonald's and Walmart.
It's time to ask UPS why it is still in bed with an organization that writes, distributes and lobbies for laws that are solely designed to hurt working families.
TAKE ACTION NOW AND TELL UPS IT'S TIME TO LEAVE ALEC!
Teamsters Supports the Teachers Walkout on 5-27-15
Local 690 Teamsters were there to support area teachers in their May 27th day of action. See more photos.
Teamsters Local 690 donates to Tom's Turkey Drive
At the Sysco Annual Shareholders Meeting
Local 690's Secretary-Treasurer Val Holstrom sent Business Agent Larry Kroetch to Houston to join with Teamster Members and Representatives from across the country in support of the IBT's National campaign raising awareness by attending the Sysco Annual Shareholders Meeting and voiced our concerns about the proposed merger. Teamsters attending the meeting held the floor for approximately 75% of the time, asking pointed questions to the Board and demanding our concerns about protecting our member be heard and addressed.
July 27th, 6:30 PM
Sept. 17th, 6:00 PM
690 Teamster Hall.
Construction Out-of-Work Slips and Payments
Construction Out-of-Work slips and payments are due by the last business day of the month.
All Hire Hall payments need to be in no later than 5:00pm, Tuesday July 31, 2015 in order for them to be posted.
Info for Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers
Learn how CSA affects drivers and what you can do to comply with CSA here.